Family Days Out
Local Festivals & Events
The Masseria had been abandoned for 28 years, after the previous owner died, when we bought it in 2013. The oldest part of the house dates from the early 17th Century and originally served as a chapel serving the Chiesa San Francesco alla Sardella. It was built for Don Giulio Palmieri, the local parish priest and would have been used by the local agricultural workers living in the area. At the time the chapel also included an additional parcel of land measuring 455 tomoli (an old agricultural land measure) with 367 sheep and 26 oxen.
In September 1672, the building was sold to the Convent of Clarisse, based in Naples, for 3,300 ducats and was used as a religious retreat. It was subsequently bought, on 26 May 1706, by the Monastry of Santa Chiara, also based in Naples.
In 1809, after the suppression of religious orders, the building was sold into private ownership. We believe that it was extended in 1874, the date on the keystone above our front door.